AWACAN-ED is currently seeking motivated doctoral and masters’ students with an interest in cancer epidemiology to join their interdisciplinary research group at the University of Zimbabwe. Successful candidates are invited to apply for fully funded PhD and Masters’ scholarships. The successful applicant must have excellent written and communication skills, strong analytical skills, with proficiency in at least one statistical software package and commitment to improving public health in Africa.
Value and Tenure
To the successful candidates, a monthly stipend will be provided, and training and development costs will be covered. The tenure of the fellowship is for four years, renewed annually depending on satisfactory academic progress. Two PhD and three Masters’ students will be selected.
Conditions of the award
- Zimbabwean citizenship or permanent residence
- Registration for PhD or Masters’ program at approved local institutions
- Undertake research that includes collecting data or over-seeing data collection, data management, development of information systems, reviewing data quality, conducting statistical analyses, and writing up of results for publication in peer-reviewed manuscripts and stakeholder reports.
- Attendance and participation at the annual AWACAN-ED school
- PhD: Master’s degree (MPH, MMed, MPhil, Health Economics or a related discipline with a significant concentration in health economics), preferably in public health, health economics, health equity, oncology, obstetrics and gynaecology, or general surgery from an accredited university.
- Masters: Bachelors’ degree or equivalent
- Work experience or training in the field of public health, oncology, obstetrics and gynaecology, or general surgery is highly recommended but not required
- Evidence of research experience is required
- Curriculum vitae (CV) with a full list of publications
- Statement of purpose describing your academic and research interests, relevant research and work experiences, academic/professional goals, and objectives, confirmed mentor, and how your research interests align, and why you have chosen to attend the University of Zimbabwe, University of Cape Town, or approved institution.
- At least two letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional sources
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts and degree certificates from all schools or colleges previously attended.
Contact details for submission of applications and enquiries
Submit your application via email to email@example.com
Closing date is 29 July 2022. Applications received after the closing date will NOT be considered.